Assistant Director - Outreach
Share this role
- General Medical Council
- Closing date:
- 8th August
- Job Ref:
The General Medical Council is the independent regulator for doctors in the UK and regulates in the context of a globalised healthcare workforce, where the UK medical workforce is increasingly international and ethnically diverse. The GMC is dedicated to protecting patients across the four countries of the United Kingdom by ensuring high standards of medical education and practice. It does this by working with doctors, government health departments, employers, medical educators and patient groups.
The Assistant Director Outreach is a critical senior role for the General Medical Council. Reporting to our Director of Strategic Communications and Engagement, and as part of the senior management team within the directorate, you will provide strategic leadership and day to day management of the outreach team, who act as our key points of contact and relationship builders with stakeholders at a regional and local level throughout England. You will ensure these relationships across the healthcare landscape are developed and maintained, with all key insight and intelligence fed back in to the GMC’s strategy and policy making processes.
Our new Assistant Director Outreach will bring a demonstrable and successful track record of developing and delivering organisation wide engagement strategies. They will have proven leadership experience in a senior role within a comparably complex environment with the ability to build high performing teams of skilled individuals alongside the ability to operate as a strategic leader who translates day-to-day intelligence into the bigger picture. Whilst we are not seeking any specific professional background for this role, nor experience in healthcare, you will need to demonstrate the ability to quickly develop an understanding of the context in which the GMC works and to quickly assimilate our regulatory framework and complex policy environment. You will bring outstanding interpersonal skills, will be politically astute, with outstanding relationship-building and communication capability. You will bring the insight, analytical ability, strategic vision and determination to get things done in this uniquely interesting and demanding role. You must also demonstrate a clear commitment to improve equality, diversity and inclusion in all of the GMC’s responsibilities, and ensure that this is delivered across the team.
Our organisation is built on fairness and trust – the trust of patients and the medical profession. We provide an inclusive working environment where everyone is valued and welcome new perspective and ideas that you may bring. We have placed equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our corporate strategy, both as a regulator of an increasingly diverse medical profession and as an organisation. We particularly encourage and welcome applications to this role from women, black and minority ethnic people and disabled applicants as part of our commitment to address under-representation in our senior leadership.
For further information and for a confidential conversation please call our advising consultants at GatenbySanderson, Duncan Ewart or Katrina Paget on 07471 037071.
How to apply
To apply please submit the following by the deadline for applications:
- A comprehensive CV (no more than three sides of A4)
- A Supporting Statement (maximum three sides of A4), explaining your motivation for the application and addressing the key skills in the job description, giving specific and detailed examples of achievements to demonstrate how you can address these
- The names and contact details for 2 referees. Confidential references are taken up on candidates shortlisted for formal interviews. However, we will refer back to you for confirmation that referees may be approached before any contact is made with them.
- Details of any dates that you are unavailable during the indicative timetable
- In addition, you will be asked to complete a diversity monitoring questionnaire, this will appear on screen as part of the application process. The information on this page will be treated as confidential and used for statistical purposes only. This information will not be treated as part of your application.
We regret that late applications will not be accepted.